Sunday, May 17, 2009

A breakthrough

My oldest child had a athletic event Saturday, and my husband told his mother about it, so of course she showed up. It's like she has to witness every event in my children's lives. I was annoyed she was there, because I felt like she was one more thing I had to keep track of.

But then I had a revelation. It occurred to me that when my f-i-l shows up at such events (my in-laws are divorced), I don't worry about whether he's bored or being entertained. I go about doing what I would do if he weren't there. So why should it be any different with my m-i-l?

So when she arrived, I greeted her, explained what was going on, and then went about my day, sitting with my child, talking to other parents, taking care of my youngest child, who was with us for the event. I didn't ignore my m-i-l, I just didn't spend my time fretting over whether she was bored or hungry or tired or whatever. I also didn't sit next to her, attempting to make uncomfortable small talk for four hours.

It was wonderful. And I only felt the teeniest bit guilty.

That evening when I told my husband about my revelation, he patted me on the head and said, "It's about time you figured that out. I've been telling you to do that for years."

1 comment:

We love comments, especially if they are tips or advice for our posters. But please, let's keep it civil.