Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Strange gifts indeed

My mil is not very good at buying gifts. When she and my fil were still married, she'd give everyone the same version of a guest-bath soap/towel/knick-knack combo she got at Sam's Club - every year.

In addition to the standard gift, she'd also give something personal. Like the year she gave me a nightgown, mesh lingerie bag and bottle of Woolite. She provided an explanation for the bag and the Woolite, saying, "You put the nightgown in the delicate cycle and use Woolite so it won't get ruined." Like somehow I had made it to adulthood without knowing what the delicate cycle and Woolite were.

After my first daughter was born, she gave my daughter a cute dress for her birthday and me a bottle of Spray and Wash. Again, with an explanation, "This stuff works really well at getting stains out." I just gave a stiff smile and thanked her.

I guess she doesn't trust my laundry skills.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes. I thought mine was bad because she demands you go out and pick out your own xmas gifts, then bring them back for her to wrap and present to you on xmas morning. I guess this is better than laundry paraphernilia.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, especially if they are tips or advice for our posters. But please, let's keep it civil.